A trip to the Alcazaba and tapas!



With a blue sky, rays of sun and 60 degree weather, a group of Erasmus students ventured to the Alcazaba, Almeria’s castle. I will mention Erasmus a lot in my future posts so I will explain it a little. I came to Almeria through a program called ISEP, which is solely for the United States. Since there are only five ISEP students here (my roommates and I) we are able to join in the Erasmus group and participate in their events. Erasmus is the European version of ISEP and it is the main study abroad program in Europe. There is an office at my university solely for Erasmus and they put on daytime events, weekend trips and parties. This group is a great way to meet people from many different countries and aided in me befriending Bulgarians, Mexicans, Croatians, and Poles.  I will also be going with this group to Barcelona in less than a week.

The Alcazaba was a breathtaking mix of old Moorish ruins and well kept gardens. It provided a stunning view of the Mediterranean Sea and the city of Almeria, and reminded me why I chose this location to study. The castle had a variety of architectural differences between the three main sections since it has changed rulers many times throughout its existence. The Taifa kingdom, the Christians, and the Catholic Monarchs have all aided in the development of the castle. Each ruler added his own input on the castle and some ultimately reorganized the entire layout.    

The entrance to the Alcazaba

On the steps of the Alcazaba
Inside the castle



After the tour was complete the group ventured back into the tiny city streets for “una ruta de tapas” or a tapas crawl. We went to three different tapas places all reasonably priced at two euros for one tapa and a drink. At the first place I got “La Tahona” which was potatoes, two quail eggs and bread. It was delicious! I have learned it is very hard to go wrong with breakfast food. The second tapas place was a charming bar covered with deep mahogany wood on the inside. This place was my favorite because I got the classic dish of Spain, paella. Paella is a mix of rice and either seafood, chicken or both. This paella included scallops, octopus and some shrimp. The octopus was surprisingly yummy and not chewy like I had imagined. We ended the tapas crawl with a modern bar that had nice outdoor seating. I got the “Hamburguesa especial” which was very dry and far from the American hamburger. All in all this was a great experience because it introduced me to three new places that had decent portions and reasonable prices along with new friends.

"La Tahona"

Paella



To wrap up this great activity the group ventured down to the beach since the weather was perfect. I finally got to put my toes in the sand and feel the Mediterranean Sea against my skin and it was glorious. It was the perfect ending to a very Spanish day.


Here are some more pictures from the day:

Part of the Alcazaba


My roommates

The city of Almeria

It was a very windy day so many people were flying kites.


Comments

Popular Posts